Moving is probably one of the most arduous and wearisome tasks we all go through at some point in our lives. The physical burden of packing, moving and then unpacking and the emotional burden of where on earth do I put all this stuff and when will I find the time to do it. It would be nice to just wave our magic wand and have it all be done! Whether you are doing all the work yourself or if you are lucky enough to be able to hire a moving professional, taking simple steps will result in a smooth move.
If you take the time to do some planning in advance, when the big day comes, things will go much smoother. Let’s face it…life happens and something unexpected always come up. If and when that happens, take a deep and take comfort in knowing you are moving into your new home and this is just the ride to making new memories.
8 WEEKS BEFORE
- Contact moving companies for estimates.
- Remove and dispose of unnecessary possessions.
- Hold a yard sale to sell unwanted possessions or donate them to a local shelter.
- Start compiling an inventory of your possessions.
- Get a floor plan (with room dimensions) of your new home to help you decide which furnishings you want to keep and which room they will go in.
- Start a file of moving-related papers and receipts.
- Locate schools, healthcare professionals and hospitals in your new location.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records and family medical records.
6 WEEKS BEFORE
- Secure off-site storage, if needed.
- Choose a mover and sign contract.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance agent about coverage for moving and secure more, if necessary.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner’s, medical, and life) to arrange for coverage in your new home.
4 WEEKS BEFORE
- Create a file of important papers, such as auto license, registration documents and title, any medical, dental and school records; birth certificates; wills, deeds, stock certificates, and other financial documents.
- Notify the following of your change of address:
- Post office
- Credit card companies
- Relatives and friends
- Insurance agent, lawyer, tax/financial advisor
- Magazine subscriptions
- Notify utility companies of date to discontinue/transfer service and/or establish service at your new home. Also arrange for final readings and bills, including refunds on prepaid services.
- Heating oil
- Internet service
- Natural gas
- Trash collection
- Notify your state’s department of motor vehicle of your new address.
- If moving from an apartment, arrange for refund of your security deposit.
- Discontinue additional home services (housekeeper, gardener/lawn service, snow removal, and pool cleaner), if applicable.
- Start using up things you can’t move, such as perishables.
3 WEEKS BEFORE
- Make travel plans, if necessary.
- Make arrangements with condo or homeowner’s association to reserve elevator usage time if moving into or out of a high-rise building.
- Arrange to close existing bank accounts and open new accounts in new area.
- Arrange for childcare on moving day.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- Arrange special transport for your pets and plants.
- Contact your moving company and review arrangements for your move.
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Pack moving-essential boxes—important documents, travel clothes, personal items and prescription medications.
2–3 DAYS BEFORE
CONFIRM ALL FINAL ARRANGEMENTS WITH YOUR MOVER AND ANYONE ELSE WHO IS ASSISTING IN THE MOVE
Some checklist suggestions provided by REBAC Home Buyer’s Toolkit