Thanksgiving Is #1 Day For This Home Disaster
If you guessed that cooking fires peak at Thanksgiving, you’re right. What’s more, cooking fires have long been the leading cause of home structure fires and home fire injuries.
Help make sure you’re not the victim of a holiday home fire with these tips:
*Keep a fire extinguisher approved for cooking or grease fires nearby.
*Check to make sure your smoke detectors are working.
*Tell guests where your family has agreed to meet if everyone has to evacuate due to a fire.
*When guests require your attention outside the kitchen, turn off the stovetop.
*Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and around other areas where hot food or drinks are prepared or carried.
Switch to Flameless Candles
If you put up your holiday decorations this month, be especially careful with your candles. Better yet, use flameless candles, which now come with remote controls, scents, timers, rechargeable batteries, and in many different sizes.
Candle fires increase during the winter holidays because people burn candles more and they burn them near decorations, the National Fire Protection Association says.
When you use real candles, follow these safety tips:
*Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
*Keep candles out of the reach of children.
*Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle.
*Don’t leave a lit candle in a room where a child sleeps.
*Use sturdy candleholders that won’t easily tip over.
*Put candles out before they burn down completely to the holder or container.
*Never use a candle in a home where anyone uses an oxygen tank.
Image source: Martha_Chappa95 via Flickr
Powered by HomeActions for Laura S. Rossinow, Broker, Keller Williams Realty, Newton, MA